Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Muddy Waters

It's no secret that I have been struggling with chest pain for a long time. Off and on for about four years now in fact; ever since my heart surgery in 2010. My first cardiologist told me it was part of the recovery process, my surgeon told me I was making it up and my current cardiologist has actually been trying to help me. It has been very slow going, but it seems that we are starting to narrow down the suspects.

We have tried all the usual tests and medications. I've had stress tests, EKG's, echo-cardiograms, chest x-rays and CT scans of the chest. All of which has always come back normal so we have never been able to pin down a reason for the chest pain. We have tried Ranexa, isosorbide di-nitrate and nitroglycerin tabs as well anti-inflammatory meds with mixed results. Some didn't work at all and some only worked for a short period of time before the chest pain returned and back to the doctor I went.

I suppose on the plus side I have already met my deductible and my out of pocket maximum for the year. And we're only half way through July.

The latest thing we have decided to try is a heart catheter. The reason my cardiologist wanted to put it off for so long is because of the invasive nature of the procedure. It's not normal for someone in their early thirties undergo such a procedure. But I also pointed out to him that it's not normal for healthy 29 year old women to have strokes. He concurred. During the heart cath, the doctor is looking for anything that could be causing the chest pain; scar tissue, heart disease and malformations of the heart. While we're hoping that there is no need for further surgery, I have been made aware that is a possibility, albeit a slim one.

So now I'm just in that place of limbo where obviously I don't want there to be anything wrong but I want there to finally be a solution to one of my problems. The sooner we can take care of this one, the sooner we can take care of the rest. Oh, how I hate saying that there is still more to work on...

Till next time  my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment