Monday, June 2, 2014

Fun Friday

My husband has Thursdays off right now so we used that day to run our errands. I also enjoyed an evening out listening to my son's band concert. (He was amazing, as always.) So while Thursday was a little bit busy, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Until that night. I was sitting and watching television after the kids had gone to bed. Nothing unusual there, but suddenly I felt an incredible pressure on my chest; like someone was standing on me. Then it felt like someone was squeezing my rib cage together.

I got up and walked over to husband, who was standing in the kitchen, and told him I didn't feel well. It didn't occur to my to take my nitroglycerin because I wasn't in severe pain. There was just a squeezing sensation. A little later I felt dizzy and there was a throbbing in my temples followed by a headache. Then I couldn't talk. My speech was slurred and I was having severe difficulty finding my words. My right arm and leg were weaker than usual and were experiencing pain.

I suppose any other person would have gone to the hospital right then and there. But not me. These symptoms, especially the aphasia, come on pretty frequently and without warning. So we decided to go to bed and wait it out. When I woke up, I felt pretty much the same, sans headache, and still couldn't speak.

Victor took an unscheduled day off, helped me get the kids ready for school and acted as my interpreter all day. We called the neurologist. She suggested the symptoms were brought on by a seizure or by a migraine and to monitor the symptoms. If they got worse, head to the ER. We called the cardiologist. He said that it sounded like on aura brought on by the headache and that he would head to the ER if symptoms did not resolve in the next few hours.We waited about another hour and decided to go to the hospital because the aphasia had never before lasted more than an hour and we were heading into hour 12.

I hate heading to the hospital whenever I experience a neurological event. One of two things always happen. One, I am not taken seriously. Or two, I am made into a science experiment. On Friday, I they took Door Number One.

After all the tests (electrocardiogram, chest x-ray, CT-scan of the brain, blood work), I am told everything is fine. There was no reason for my symptoms and I can go home as is. With no relief for the chest pain and no explanation for the event. They tried to relieve the pain with both morphine and toradol but to no avail. All I was told was that when patients come in with chest pain with no reason that can be pinned down, they usually chalk it up to stress and anxiety.

I'm not going to deny that I have stress in my life. That would be stupid. I have three kids, a husband, a mother in law and a dog to take care of. I do all the laundry, all the cooking, a large majority of the cleaning, I can't drive till October, I hate being a housewife but I love writing everyday, and I probably won't ever get to back to work ever again. But my kids are a huge help around the house, my husband takes me out whenever he can, and I don't feel particularly anxious and overly stressed. In fact, I have had less migraines in the last few months than I can remember ever having in recent years thanks to changes in diet and household environment. I have had a definite problem with chest pain since my heart surgery in 2010 that we are just now getting under control. And we are only just now starting to under the repercussions of my stroke in 2010. So while stress may have played a part in Friday's events, I feel like it was not the whole story.

This week I am focusing on creating a healthy environment. I feel better when my house is clean and smells nice therefore I am taking that little extra effort to make sure that my house is the way I like it. I am making doubly sure I am eating right, drinking plenty of water, exercising and keeping a daily journal to help get out anything that is bothering me. At this point, I will do anything to keep my heart and brain healthy and working together like clockwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment