Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Breakthrough Seizures

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have no choice but to catch it, hit it, or dodge it. I had been seizure free since April of 2014 and then, at the end July, I had one of my spells. I have non-epileptic seizures. I never fully lose consciousness and I don't jerk or twitch, I just sort of shut down for a minute. I lose control of my body. I can't move or respond to what's going on around me. It's almost like a reset button has been pressed.

I happened to have a neurology appointment a few weeks after the initial event. My neurologist and I talked about the possible return of these seizures. She told me that sometimes people just have breakthrough episodes. No one can predict them nor can we control them. It's unfortunate but at least we can limit their recurrence.

I'm on a relatively high dose of Topamax already, an anti-seizure medication. I also take Lyrica for neuropathic pain. It has an anti-seizure medication in it as well, so no need to change any of my medication. There are triggers, however, for seizures. Stress, lack of sleep and excess alcohol consumption can all contribute to breakthrough episodes.

Unfortunately, there has been no lack of stress around here. From home repairs, car repairs, back to school expenses and now the victims of bank fraud, life has definitely kept us on our toes this year. Lack of sleep? Well, I do my level best to get a good night's sleep every night because lack of sleep contributes to a higher risk of migraines and so does an excess of alcohol. But I'm human. So I don't always sleep well and I don't always stick to "just one" drink.

The good news is, I haven't had another breakthrough seizure. The bad news is, I'm on three to six months no driving. Three months because I never lost consciousness, up to six months depending on how I feel. If I feel I am not putting myself or others at risk I can start driving again in November. Just in time for holiday travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment