Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Bone Density Scan - What to Expect

I recently had a bone density scan. Yes, me, a 35 year old woman. There are many reasons a woman would need to scan her bones: old age, disease, genetic abnormalities. For me, it is because I take a long term medication that interferes with Vitamin D absorption. Vitamin D helps you absorb calcium and calcium is necessary for strong bones.

Women tend to lose more calcium throughout their lifetime than men do. We lose calcium each menstrual cycle, each time we have a baby, each time we nurse a baby, if we over exercise to fit into those skinny jeans or diet too much. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is essential for both men and women in order to avoid osteoporosis. So avoid smoking, excessive drinking, eat a well balanced diet and exercise regularly.

Actually getting the bone density scan is not really a big deal. In fact it was the easiest test I have ever had (I have had my fair share). I was by far the youngest person in the waiting room. I had the other women beat by at least 10 years, but I think having a stroke at 29 gives me the street cred. The best part of the scan was the fact that I never had to take my clothes off. There were times I was convinced that every person in the hospital had seen my boobs when I was having tests on my heart before and after my surgery.

To have the bone density scan done, all you have to do is lie down on an exam table let the machine take x-rays of your hips and lower back. At one point you will have to lift your knees and place them on a giant pillow for the scan of your lower back, but that's it. That is your entire participation in the x-ray.

I chatted with the x-ray tech (this part is optional). She was very friendly. We talked about the badge she wears that monitors her exposure to the radiation in the room. I think it was somewhat comforting to know that I wasn't in any danger of being over-exposed, even though the thought had never even occurred to me before.

I have an appointment with my neurologist, who ordered the test for me, later this month. I'll check in with all you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment