Saturday, June 22, 2019

Long Term Effects of a Stroke

Life has been very busy for us over the last two years, which about how long it has been since I have written any of my blogs. Shame on me. I have fallen into that trap known has "Writer's Block" (which is really just laziness) and blamed life events on keeping me away from my keyboard. My son is graduating high school, my youngest is starting high school, my marriage needed a little TLC, I started a new job with a great company, and I had a little set back with my health.

One of the effects of my stroke is right side weakness and pain, commonly referred to as neuropathy. The neuropathy is a bit more uncommon in stroke cases, but obviously it does happen. Everything has been under control for the last few years but I have noticed increasing weakness, pain and even some swelling in my right hand.

To start with, I sprained my right wrist in a car accident three or four years ago. And within the last six months I had a rather hilarious encounter with the stairs, a sock and a tile floor in which my wrist was the butt of the joke. So there was a question as to whether or not injury played a part in the new pain. I had an upcoming neurologist appointment so I spoke with her about it.

The neurologist told me I there were a few options. I could have carpal tunnel, arthritis, an old injury that didn't heal correctly, or it be symptoms of my stroke getting worse. We set up a time for an electromyography (EMG) and an x-ray of my hand.

The EMG was not my most favorite test. It consisted of have mild-ish electric shocks run through your hands and arms and a needle poked into your muscles. You have to have both arms done as a comparison to each other. The test came back normal. No carpal tunnel. That's great news, considering I spend most of my day in front of a computer screen and want to someday be a known as a professional writer. The x-ray also came back normal.

This means the ultimate news is not really good news. The effects of my stroke have started to get worse over the last year. That was a hard pill to swallow. That means no cure? No surgery? No magic pill? My mind couldn't totally wrap around that concept. I wanted so badly for there to be a definitive answer and I'm left with, "Sorry kiddo. Better luck next time."

Sometimes I feel like things like this would be easier to accept if I had done something to cause the situation I am in. If I lived in a life burdened with high cholesterol, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes... But I have none of those things. I had a faulty heart and no one is to blame for that.

So what's next? I honestly don't know. I keep all my appointments. I am trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, maybe exercise a little more. Monitor my hand strength and agility. And don't dwell on the things I cannot change.

Till next time friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment